What is a Navigational Scatter?

A great entry point into rallying, a Navigational Scatter is a fantastic opportunity to build the skills necessary in more complex formats. Teams, each made up of a driver and a navigator, are given around 20 – 30 plot points scattered across a defined area, with a clue or question to solve at each point (the number on a particular telegraph pole, for example). Similar to orienteering but in a car, competitors locate points choosing their own route and meet up at the finish. One step up from a Treasure Hunt.

Navigational Scatters usually take place in the evening or at night, along public roads, with speeds rarely exceeding 30mph.

How to take part in a Navigational Scatter

There are a number of clubs across the UK organising regular Navigational Scatters that are open to newcomers. Events are run by local volunteers, with rules and regulations determined by Motorsport UK, the governing body, to provide safe, fair and fun competition.

To find a club or an event near you, or to volunteer to support your local Rallying events, register here and a member of our team will be in touch to match you with a StreetCar-accredited club.


For a Navigational Scatter, no special equipment or training is needed, though there are some regulations for the car that is entered.

If you are navigating on the event, you do not need a driving licence.

The car must have:

  • A valid MOT, and be taxed and insured for road use
  • Paintwork all one colour, with no primer visible
  • Standard wheel arch extensions and all major internal trim (headlining, inside door panels, carpets, and rear seats)
  • An engine with a maximum of four cylinders
  • A maximum of four forward facing beams as well as side indicator lights

For diesel and petrol engines under 1500cc forced induction is permitted, provided the complete original induction system is unmodified apart from the replacement of the air filter element.

Please note, this is only a summary of key points. Your club will be able to provide further guidance.

You will need:

  • A Club membership
  • Your entry fee
  • An RS Clubman licence from Motorsport UK

Depending on the club, you may also need:

  • Special motor insurance (see below)
  • The specified map
  • A Perspex romer


Standard motor insurance does not usually cover “racing, pacemaking, reliability trials, speed testing or rallies”, so additional insurance may be needed from your provider, or a specialist insurance broker.

Alternatively, clubs often arrange specialist policies with Motorsport UK, to cover competitors throughout the duration of the event. This option is third party only, and does not cover damage to your car, but is the most common solution. Your local club can guide you through this process.

Ready to Rally?

Register your interest and our team will be in touch
to match you with a club.

Get Started
Subscribe to the StreetCar newsletter Keep up to date with news, events, and stories from across the community.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Facebook Logo